Sunday, November 7, 2021

Bubba at Sylvan Springs

Apprently blogs aren't a thing anymore and neither is my cycling fitness. I pinned on a number after over 11 years of not owning a bike and riding. My expectations are different and fairly easy to achieve; build fitness, enjoy racing and have fun. My new bike arrived Monday and after a bit of tinkering I got it pretty well setup. I rode for an hour on Thurs and then another 1.5 hrs off road on Sat at Creve Couer with former MESA A TEAM rider, Matt James. 

I had only ever raced "A" CX races and really had no idea what my I was capable of so I singed up for the C and B race, which provoked some raised eyebrows and heckling. As it turned out, it's right where I belong now. I lined up in in the C race and had to do everything I could to reign it in. Fast starts have always been my thing and even though I had little to no fitness the speed of a C race start was far slower than I was used to and I found myself in the front pretty quickly. Soon after, the climbing began and the fun was over. I was able to make up ground anytime there was a flat or corner and through the barriers. I went backwards quite a bit in the middle of the race but somehow found the late race adrenaline surge and moved up about 4 spots on the last lap, which I felt good about, and finished 6th in the C's.

 After a brief cool down I lined up for the B race, because I had paid for it in advance, but had nothing left. I was on the verge of cramping anytime I had to apply any power and my back was pretty well shot. Suprisingly, I was able to coach myself to finish and avoided getting lapped. As I approached the finish the front two riders came up behind me to sprint it out. That close. 

The fire was stoked and it began.

No comments: