Thursday, October 13, 2022

10/10 #1 @ Bellafontaine, Masters, 4th

 Great day for CX! Great course layout with mostly large radius turns, a few tight sections to keep you on your toes, but mainly a power course. After riding the re-glued tires a few hours during the week I was feeling confident they would stay on, which they did. I had my first two workouts of the year during the week and was feeling like they were easier than they should have been and recovering quickly. They get a bit harder this week so hoping the trend continues. 

Started in the second wave after the 4 SS guys and I think there were 8 of us total. I had a fairly conservative start, by my standards, and resisted the urge to push to get to the front (of the group behind Anthony). Coming through the barriers on a lap one I was sitting on 4th or 5th wheel with Harre coming up into the group. I tripped over the barrier but recovered quickly latched back onto the group sitting and moving up to 5th or 6th with the SS riders mixed in. I must have kicked my through axle when I crashed which began to loosen up considerable (unbeknownst to me at the time) and my bike started ghost shifting under any load but as long as I stayed seated it was bearable. 

We hit the back paved section with about 4 to go and there was a group with a few SS guys and the group of 3 chasing Anthony. I made a move before hitting the grass and was sitting in 4th. I kept in contact with 2/3 up until 2 laps to go when I realized I couldn't stand on the 2 hills without the shifting being an issue and managed to increase my lead on the group chasing me, but not to gain on 2/3, which is how the rest of the race went. 

All in all I'm super pleased and felt good/motivated to push the whole race. Barring the shifting issues it was pretty clean and that didn't change the outcome any, I assume. 

Highly optimistic about where my fitness is headed. 

No comments: