Friday, July 8, 2022

2TG Dirt Crit #3, 12th


 Big field. Lots of old Mesa friends coming out for a little reunion. Party like atmosphere. Might be the most enjoyable series I've attended. I might go as far as saying more fun than cross? Mike needs a gigantic cooler of ice cold brews at the finish to come close.

Faster and more aggressive start than last week. Oddly it felt like I was going dramatically slower this week but all my dorky power/ physio metrics say it was almost identical. I felt like a spawned out salmon drifting back down stream occasionally getting beached on shore and having to flop back in, all the while getting passed by those fueled by the hopes of fulfilling their destiny upstream... something like that anyway.

Little jockeying for the first half of the race but was able to maintain my position. Around lap 4 before the left hander up the glass block section my front wheel washed out my already twinging calves did not like trying to dab to stay up and went down anyway. Lap or two later I had passed Petey and a Gateway rider and had a 20-30 sec gap sitting inside the top 10 at that point, and went down harder in the same corner.  This time my left calf really didn't like it and I got passed up by the Gateway rider. At least there was some blood for posterity's sake. 

Not long after Greg Sandknop and some dude named Lars (that naturally must be a bad mofo) passed me and I was feeling pretty good sitting on their wheels with two to go. They we're riding super smooth and I wasn't juicing the pickle with my ooh face on coming out of every turn. I thought if I stayed with them to the grass I could make my move and possibly even catch the Gateway guy who was dangling 10 seconds ahead. Then that left hander came up again and I went down... That was that. Was able to hold off the charge but didn't close in on Greg and Lars. 

Still happy with the result given the talent and field of 70!!!!

No comments: